Sunday, April 17, 2011

Earth Day Reading Project

As gardeners working the land, whether for food or for flowers, we know that our actions can either hurt or help the soil, the plants, and the many animals that come into our gardens.


Christine at The Gardening Blog has invited me to participate in The Sage Butterfly's Reading Project for Earth Day.   I love to read, and am constantly reading a garden book.  But, not all qualify as something inspiring for Earth Day.  However, these three jump out at me as perfectly fitting and worth recommending:

1) All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
Are you new at vegetable gardening?  Do you want to get started but are unsure how?  Do you have just a small space for a vegetable garden?  Do you want a simple, almost weed-free, pretty vegetable bed?  Well, this is the book for you!  This books makes vegetable gardening easy!  After reading this book, having a vegetable garden seemed so doable, so attainable, and so simple that I just had to try!  And, besides, I love the organized look of vegetables in raised beds.  Growing vegetables in this way has been fun and rewarding.  It's also space saving and efficient.  Try it!


2) Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer  by Novella Carpenter
Have you ever thought of becoming self-sufficient?  Do you wonder what it's like to really live on only what you can grow?  Do you ponder thoughts of having animals that you may eventually have to kill and eat? Then this book is for you.  Learning to farm in the middle of a city takes determination.  In this book, not only does she plant a garden, she raises animals.  She shows, first hand, that self-sufficiency is possible.  Never having raised farm animals myself, I loved learning about chickens, rabbits, and ducks from her.  But mostly, I loved this book because she showed such respect in the value of life and the sacrifice that was made just so she could eat.  She went to greater lengths than I would be prepared to do, and I don't recommend all methods employed, but still, I definitely recommend reading this entertaining book.


3) Not a book, but a website - Urban Homestead (Path to Freedom) (urbanhomestead.org)
Want to take self-sufficiency a step farther?  Then this family will show you the way!  Although living in a city, this family still decided to become self-sufficient.  It took several years, but they didn't stop at that!  They also sell a portion of their harvests to restaurants as income.  Their harvest numbers are amazing and really demonstrate the bounty of nature. Not only do they grow their own food, they also use bio-diesel for their vehicle, use water and electricity frugally, and are working to be self-sufficient in every aspect of their lives.  Worth a look.


I have also invited :



and Cynthia at On a Hays County Hill

to join me in naming some garden books for this Earth Day Reading Project.  Check them out - I'm certain they will have wonderful recommendations!

21 comments:

  1. Holley glad to see you joining in. I am posting my books tomorrow. I love the website and have read one of the books, Square Foot Gardening. I will check out the other book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so interesting to see what inspires people. I become inspired discovering these new reads. The web site is amazing, as you say! Thanks for joining in and happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna - This was a fun meme. I will be interested in seeing which books you recommend.

    Sage Butterfly - Yes, everyone has a different perspective, so it's fun to see their reading recommendations. I enjoyed joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holley, thanks so much for showing me "How its done". I've selected my books, been doing some extra reading and will post mine in the next two days. I've added your recommendations to my list of books to read (and website :) ), I also always seem to be reading gardening books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post couldn't be more timely for me. I posted this past week about wanting some suggestions for reading on veggie gardening. Mel Bartholomew's book was one I was seeking input about! So..Thank You! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I have read & implemented Square Foot Gardening teaching a group of 3rd graders. It was fun. The website you reference is full of great info! I would love to become more self-sufficient but I don't think I could kill the animals that I raised. I have put Farm City on my list of must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardening Blog - Thanks for inviting me. I love reading, and look forward to seeing what everyone else recommends. This was fun.

    Jenni - I know you will enjoy it. It even made me think I could do it! And I could! Thanks for commenting.

    Karin - That is fabulous about teaching 3rd graders. They will remember that lesson for the rest of their lives. I hope you enjoy Farm City. It was a big step for her, too, with all the expected emotions tied to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Holley, Some of my vegetables grow in raised beds, and they seem to do the best. Thanks for the recommendations!

    And thanks for stopping by and commenting on my own blog. I have spent a while reading some of your other posts, as well as this one. You have a terrific blog and a beautiful garden. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book on urban farming sounds interesting. The challenge becomes taking on a city for the privilege to raise livestock. Usually it becomes a long difficult task.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these do sound like interesting reads. Thanks for sharing the info on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. debsgarden - Thanks for your sweet comments. I love growing vegetables in raised beds. So much easier to weed and organize!

    GWGT - Yes, that would probably be a problem in most areas. Maybe with the rise of vegetable gardening, even on balconies and in backyards, there will be a rise in small farm animals being allowed.

    Susie - I hoped to give enough information so the reader would know if they would be interested enough in the subject to purchase or borrow the book. (or go to the website) They are all different, but I enjoyed each one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the Urban Homestead people put out a book too, called the Urban Homesteader. I picked it up on a whim from Barns and Nobels a while ago. A good read full of fun projects and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mud - cute name! I was unaware of their book. I really appreciate your letting us know! I will have to check it out - thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holley, great selections! I must admit I have not done much gardening-themed reading, and this gives me some great ideas. The homestead project is amazing, proof that it is possible to be sustainable even on such a small piece of land. I'm getting my literature together and will post my part in a couple days! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa - It really is amazing how much produce they harvest in their urban lot. Makes me realize I have no excuses! I look forward to seeing your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the recommendations and for a lovely picture of flowers and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Masha - I was so excited to get that picture! Usually my butterfly pictures are taken a second or two too late. And to get two in the same picture - I was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find the square foot gardening approach really interesting, and hope to do some version of this myself in the future. Amazing website you pointed us to as well. I can see why you find it inspirational, though it is still a pretty large garden by UK standards.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Janet - I think you will really like the square foot gardening method, especially if you don't have a lot of room in which to garden. It's easily adaptable for all size gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have at last posted! Sorry for the delay - things are a little out of hand here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cynthia - Great! I look forward to reading your post! No worries on the delay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...